Friday, June 27, 2008

Time Capsules

If you're not interested in kid-things (and I promise my blog won't have too many of them), you'll probably be bored with this post.  So you've been warned.

So my son has always wanted to bury a time capsule and actually buried a "virtual time capsule" into Nickelodeon Magazine's cyber earth this past spring, to be unearthed (i.e. emailed back to him) in spring 2009.  I thought the purpose of a time capsule was supposed to be more than a year, so you could really reminisce good :) but I guess a year is pretty long for a kid.

I did start freaking out lately about the fact that he is now 8, which means high school graduation and college are only 10 years away, which means I am way behind on my savings plan for him, but that got me thinking... wouldn't it be cool to bury a time capsule now, and open it after high school graduation in ten years?

So Max has filled a bag with stuff, including one of his handmade comic books, a list of his favorite things, and photos.  We have invited all the subdivision kids who are in his grade to do the same and we'll be burying them in a time capsule tomorrow morning (while it's still June) and unearthing it, you guessed it, in 10 years, sometime after graduation.

I think it will be fun and interesting.  What do you think?

3 comments:

CALAMITY JANE said...

i am gonna steal your idea - that is so cool! my oldest would love it.
that reminds me of this one time at cedarville when they were building the new chapel, and this weird guy who i think was stalking me? snuck out and buried a picture of me and him under the cement of the new floor they had just laid. so i am forever immortalized in the new chapel :)
what in the world!

JBDaddy said...

We did one of those in 6th grade at our new playground which we were supposed to dig up at our 10 year reunion and didn't... so it's a great idea and sounds like a lot of fun if you actually open it in 10 years :-)

sommgirl said...

We're putting a stepping stone on top of it, so it's a constant reminder to dig it up in ten years.